Talk Tuesday…How to put on the armor of God (Week 6)
Every Tuesday we engage in one big question, topic or idea. You are invited to write in with a suggestion you want to share. I surely do not have all the answers but know that together we can generate some great conversation and have fun in the process. (Feel free to post your topics, questions, and your great thoughts in the comments below!) Together, we will stay informed and equipped about topics that matter!
Tuesday Talk topic for this week: The Armor of God week 3 (Click here for week 1 – The Feet of Peace & week 2 – Breastplate of Righteousness) & week 3 – Helmet of Salvation & week 4 – Shield of Faith & week 5 – Belt of Truth!
Today’s Blog Contributor: Melisa Turner. Melisa serves alongside her husband as senior pastors of Oroville AOG and her community through Blossom Ministries. Melisa is also a Speaker, and a NWMN Women’s Leadership Team Member. Enjoy today’s blog as Melisa teaches us about the Sword of the Spirit!
In the book of Ephesians the apostle Paul uses the illustration of armor to teach us how to live Jesus lives and bring peace, love, and joy to a broken world.
Every Tuesday for 7 weeks we are examining what it means to put on each piece of the armor of God. Did you know God has given you armor to wear and YOU are a warrior woman! Jump in and join the conversation. You are valuable and loved.
Paul wrote, “Put on all of God’s armor so that you will be able to stand firm against all strategies of the devil. For we are not fighting against flesh-and-blood enemies, but against evil rulers and authorities of the unseen world, against mighty powers in this dark world, and against evil spirits in the heavenly places. Stand firm then, with the belt of truth buckled around your waist, with the breastplate of righteousness in place, and with your feet fitted with the readiness that comes from the gospel of peace. In addition to all this, take up the shield of faith, with which you can extinguish all the flaming arrows of the evil one. Take the helmet of salvation and the sword of the Spirit, which is the word of God. And pray in the Spirit on all occasions with all kinds of prayers and requests.” (Ephesians 6:11-17 NLT).
…and take the sword of the Spirit, which is the word of God. ~ Ephesians 6:17b
God’s armor is made for battle. Some days I read about the armor of God and what each piece is for and by the time I have it all “On” I am ready to just sit down. It can seem heavy and overwhelming, like Saul’s armor on David’s small body. (I Sam. 17:38-39).
“God, I can’t carry this on my own.”
But, we are not supposed to just wear all of these pieces and march out to face the world alone. We are to take the Word with us!
Taking the “Word” with us:
- John 1:1-5 says, the Word has been from the beginning and the Word is God!
- Romans 8:34 says, Christ himself (who is the Word) sits at the Right Hand of God praying for you and me.
- Isaiah 41:10 says not to fear or be dismayed because God will help and strengthen us with His Righteous Right Hand (Jesus).
- Psalm 119:105-114 says, His word gives us light to walk by, it gives us life, and we hope in it.
And who is the God who goes with us?
- Joel 2:13 wrote, God is…“kind and shows mercy. He doesn’t become angry quickly, and he has great love.”
- “Lord God of Heaven’s Armies! Where is there anyone as mighty as you, O Lord? You are entirely faithful” (Psalm 89:8).
- “Be strong and brave. Don’t be afraid of them and don’t be frightened, because the Lord your God will go with you. He will not leave you or forget you” (Deut. 31:6 NCV).
- Matthew 19:26 says, ALL things are possible with God.
- “The grass withers, the flower fades, But the word of our God stands forever” (Isaiah 40:8).
The sword of the Spirit, the word of God enables us to walk in our armor with boldness. We must TAKE the Word of God by the hand! Literally, figuratively, spiritually!
Hold on to the Righteous Right hand of God.
Take up His printed word and search it out that it might encourage you as the scriptures above encourage me to put on my armor and walk in boldness!